Recommendations for the Follow-Up Assessment of Contaminated Travelers by Radiation Control Health Physics Staff
- Item type: Federal Guidance
- Date Posted: 30 August 2012
- Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
State radiation control program health physicists often perform the follow-up assessment of contaminated travelers in coordination with the local or state health department. The CDC has released these recommendations for conducting the follow-up assessments.
The follow-up assessment should consist of four main activities:
- Ensure the effectiveness of external decontamination
- Assist in completion and review the Epidemiologic Assessment form with the traveler and assess potential for internal contamination.
- Perform a thyroid count
- Evaluate the need for bioassay, and collect a urine sample if necessary